Socket on Lighting circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peterconnolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Socket on Lighting circuit

by peterconnolly » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 am

Hi,

I've just come across as socket which is powered off a 1.5 twin + earth lighting circuit. It is being used in an attic to power a rodent deterent device and therefore not drawing any significant current.

I fully understand that this does not meet building regulations and needs to be brought to the attentation of the owner but I was wondering what code to assign to it.

I reckon that it's not a Code 3 ... and due to the fact that it is protected by a 5 Amp MCB it is not a Code 1 ... therefore I am tempted to label it a Code 2 ... any thoughts or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Regards ... Peter

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi P.C.
I have come across this recently when powering T.V. booster/splitters from light but because unit uses plug top PSU they have had to fit 13A skt .
I think if labelled with wording as to max load it could be a 4) as not possible to overload cable there is no real danger, just non-compliance, & it shows you have seen it!,
OR if unhappy about socket on lighting circuit altogether then it must be a
2) requiring rewiring to power circuit, I don't feel a 3) is right because theres nothing to investigate as you've already done that for them!
Not a cut & dried one this & I don't doubt others will have different ideas!
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:23 pm