Sockets in the floor
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gart
Labourer
Labourer

Sockets in the floor

Post by Gart » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:36 pm

I plan to convert my garage into an office and I have bought some raised access flooring. My plan is to have sockets in the floor (like they have in some offices) is this allowed?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Yes providing they are the ones sold for the purpose with covers when not in use, presume you have applied for planning permission for change of use?
Don't forget wiring in a garage is part p regulated, so needs to be done professionally!
Regards SPARX

Gart
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Gart » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:46 pm

Thanks sparx for the information. Yes the sockets do have covers.

My garage to office conversion is very minor. The garage is being divided by a stud wall so it will be a small garage and office space. But I agree with you its probably worth a call to the local planning office.

As the ring main already comes into the garage (my garage is integrated to the house) I will only have to extend the ring main, from what I've read in the part P
"The following types of work are non-notifiable:-
Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit"
BUT I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN (hence my posts) so please feel free to correct me.

Gart

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:24 pm

Integral garages were an arguable point, general opinion is not notifiable but bldg control will give their local thoughts if u ask, they are very approachable/helpful in most areas, & as the ones likely to give grief if not happy I would ask.
As for wiring if true ring already in garage u have options.
if more than two sockets on garage part of ring then u could remove section of wire between two sockets, run new cable from one to your new sockets & return cable to other thus keeping all sockets on ring and allowing max. load, OR
if only one dble reqd in office then a simple spur from one ring skt will be ok, OR
if u have 2 or more skts in garage on ring then u can take one dbl. socket from each, OR
if u want several sockets for light loads ie comp. fax. Phone you could run from one skt on ring via a fused connection unit (fused spur) to as many as u like bearing in mind total load limited to 13a. by fuse in spur,
Said u had options, hope this helps more than confuses, Regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:00 am