sockets & lights to outside garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
foxy5062
Labourer
Labourer

sockets & lights to outside garage

by foxy5062 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:34 pm

Hello I'm looking to supply a shed with a light and a double socket. I am happy to run a new cable from the current domestic consumer unit protected by RCD. The cable would travel approx 3 meters through the attic, through a hole in the external wall drop down approx 5 meters as i live on the first floor, then approx 5 meters across the garden into the shed. My first question is what size of cable to use? the second question would be,is there particluar required conduit i can fix to the external wall, and also dig into the ground to run the cable?
Any advice would be appreciated.

regards LB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:58 pm

hi, several issues here, first, legal:,
connecting new circuit to con. unit.
wiring out side house,
both covered under part p of bldg regs so you either have to pay upfront fee to local authority to do work yourself or Get qualified, registered sparky to do it.
next why not run overhead on strainer (catenery) wire, because to run under ground you need to use steel wire armoured cable buried deeply and marked, then clipped up wall into loft, bulky, ugly.
needs proper glands each end etc.
either way a 2.5 mm2 cable fused @20A would do to a skt. then through a switched - fused - spur ( now called a 'fused connection unit') as your light switch (fused @3A).
Never mind what Charlie Dimwit did with pond pumps on tele you can't run cables underground up hose pipes etc. If in doubt please ask leckie, Regards SPARX

foxy5062
Labourer
Labourer

by foxy5062 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Thanks for your reply, overhead seems the way forward. Will prob get a qulaified spark in as it seems a little out of my leauge. :D

I live in Scotland do the the legal regs differ from England and Wales? I have recently moved my kitchen under the terms of a building warrant and i don't recall reading anything about the Part P building regs. oops cause i have already connected my new kitchen ring main into the con.unit.

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:05 pm

there are significant differences in requirements, & although our mainly Scots headed gov. pushed English part p were less inclined to do so in Scotland.....
regards Sparx

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:18 am