Sockets Trip
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mgraym600
Labourer
Labourer

Sockets Trip

Post by mgraym600 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi,

I recently replaced an old doube light switch with a silver one and fitted a 3 lamp spot light in the kitchen. All is working as before along with all other lights in house. However, the consumer unit now trips the sockets only. could I have caused this to happen?, despite all the lights still working. the consumer unit is less than a year old and fitted by a spark.

Could heavy rain fall have caused this to happen (water getting in somehow)?

It happened when I was hoovering, via an extension cable - could a faulty appliance have damaged the socket itself? (It trips after about 2 minutes).

Any advise given would be much appreciated.
Mike :(

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Sockets Trip

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:26 am

[quote="mgraym600"]Hi,

I recently replaced an old doube light switch with a silver one and fitted a 3 lamp spot light in the kitchen. All is working as before along with all other lights in house. However, the consumer unit now trips the sockets only. could I have caused this to happen?, despite all the lights still working. the consumer unit is less than a year old and fitted by a spark.

Could heavy rain fall have caused this to happen (water getting in somehow)?

It happened when I was hoovering, via an extension cable - could a faulty appliance have damaged the socket itself? (It trips after about 2 minutes).

Any advise given would be much appreciated.
Mike :([/quote]

MIKE
WORK IN A KITCHEN IS NORMALY PART P NOTIFIABLE. I KNOW
U ONLY CHANGED THE LIGHT SWITCH FOR METAL AND DID LIGHT FITTING.
DID U PUT EARTH SLEEVEING ON THE EARTH WIRE IN THE SWITCH
CABLE AND SECURELY CONNECT IT IN TO SCREW BRASS TERMINAL
ON THE CASING OF THE SWITCH ITSLEF. ( MAKING SURE THIS CONNECTION WILL NOT TOUCH LIVE CONNECTIONS OF COMMON LIVE WIRE AND SWITCH LIVE WIRE.
IF THE ABOVE HAS BEEN CAREFULLY CARRIED OUT , THEN U HAVE A FAULT AND U NEED TO GET YOUR SPARK IN TO CHECK.
HE WILL HAVE TEST GEAR TO FIND PROBLEM.
BLAKEY1963

mgraym600
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mgraym600 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:34 pm

thanks for the advice boss - :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:16 am