solid Fuel to gas fire
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuart_craigon2003
Tradesman
Tradesman

solid Fuel to gas fire

by stuart_craigon2003 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi all. I am looking for some help on this one.
I have a coal fire in my bedroom and I want to convert it to a gas fire (there is a gas supply near the fire so that’s not a problem and its LPG)

I don't want a new grate because it’s very very classy and it’s an original future too) all I want is the gas burner suitable for a basket gas fire.... please some one help.

Thanks.

Stuart

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:25 am

Not as simple as that, you may be lucky and get a gas burner to fit, but you cannot adapt one to fit if it is against manufacturers instructions.

- chimney MUST be swept, when changing from solid fuel to gas.
- flue liner may need installing, depending on the condition of the flue brickwork and the manufacturers instructions for the gas burner you purchase,
- Terminal ? again manufacturers instructions will tell you whether you need a pot with bird guard, or a cowl.

You will also need a gas fitter with LPG qualifications, not all have them.

htg

stuart_craigon2003
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re:

by stuart_craigon2003 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:07 pm

Thank you very much. I wasn't so sure. I know that you can get open great gas fires but i hoped that it would be an easy thing to change. lol Never mind. Thanks again.

Stuart

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:26 am

Stuart, not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm but I don't think you can install a gas fire in a Bedroom!! If it's a Bedsit you can as long as the fire has an oxy-depletion sensor. :(

Regards Steve

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:16 pm