solid oak flooring in bathrom
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davidrhunt
Labourer
Labourer

solid oak flooring in bathrom

by davidrhunt » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:25 am

I have a lot of 120mm solid oak flooring left over from a previous project. Is it okay to use this stuff in a small bathroom (1.5m x 1.5m)?
Kitchen below has LV halogen downlighters.

davidrhunt
Labourer
Labourer

by davidrhunt » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:07 am

So 680 viewings and not one reply? Come on guys it's a fairly simple question about using solid oak flooring in a bathroom environment. I'm planning on replacing the original floorboarding with marine ply then bonding the oak flooring to that. Does anyone have any experience of any moisture problems with these modern oak planks? Small bathroom, no kids so it's not like it turns into a swimming pool.
Any help appreciated.

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi David
My personal view is wood and water don't go together.
Humidity from bathing is not the main problem as this is temporary as long as you have decent ventilation. The biggest problem is spilt liquid.
A few of the problems I have encountered in bathrooms are water getting under the planks and causing cupping, bleaches and other spilt liquids discolouring the lacquer or oil, condensation dripping off the cistern and a hotel where I had to put an anti slip aggregate into the lacquer to stop people skating on the floor.

That said, you say there are no kids, and the flooring is there to be used, as long as you can work around or under the toilet and keep the floor free of spills, go for it.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi David,

Probably too late to give my two-penneth, but here goes anyway. I fitted solid oak tongue and groove flooring over a year ago and so far no problems. moisture in the bathroom over time will be absorbed by the wood as with all wood. probably worse in the winter as the air is damper and people have more of an aversion to having the windows open during a shower or bath. i would advise not to bond it and instead lay it as a floating floor so that the boards can expand and contract along their length. leave a 10mm gap all round the perimeter of the floor and cover with beading or skirting. consider using secret nails (using a special tool that can be hired easily and are easy to use) as these will allow the floor more movement - make sure you use rust-free nails though! also bear in mind that the gaps around each plank are not watertight so any spills or even puddles from wet feet can easily work its way under the floor where it will stay doing damage. a good quality non-slip bathroom mat is a solution and be diligent with getting in and out of the bath and shower and aviod splashing! let me know how you get on!

regards,

chris

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:13 pm

also, in my personal view, a lot is made of laying this type of floor in 'wet' environments. probably more a case of the manufacturers protecting themselves. dont forget that the navy built ships out of oak for 400 years! it wont harm the oak at all the biggest problem is with unsightly cupping and joints opening up and water ingress under the floor as tall tone points out.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:01 pm