Solid wall inetrnal insulation
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dewimorgan
Labourer
Labourer

Solid wall inetrnal insulation

by dewimorgan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:15 pm

I am about to move into a 1920s house with solid walls. It needs rennovating and I want to improve its thermal qualities. I don't want to alter the outer appearance of the property, so want to insulate internally on the walls. Also, as rooms downstairs are fairly small I do not want to lose too much wall space. I have no desire to use spray on insulation, but would welcome any help and advice in terms of what to use and how to install it. Many thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Solid wall inetrnal insulation

by welsh brickie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:42 pm

you could dryline the walls with foil backed plasterboard, the boards are 12.5mm thick

dewimorgan
Labourer
Labourer

by dewimorgan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Cheers Welsh Brickie. Is this better than the foam backed plasterboard that you can get? Have also seen some foil covered flexible insulation similar to what you would have in a jacket (coat) - is this any good do you know or could it be used in conjunction with the plasterboard?
Thanks again for you advice

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 pm

you could use either method the problem is your losing internal space. The insulated plasterboard is 12.5mm with 25mm insulation ,plus adhesive, 50mm min. Also take into account the window boards need changing door casings need extending and electric sockets.
With the quilt, iso super 10 you need to staple it with battens, so you could fix 25mm thick battens to the wall the quilt can then be stapled then the plasterboard 12.5mm so about 35mm and its expensive.
The foil backed plasterboard is the best option in my opinion its 12.5mm with a 10mm allowance for adhesive.

dewimorgan
Labourer
Labourer

by dewimorgan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Thats great thank you so much for your help and advice, at least I now know which system to be researching price wise. Much obliged once again

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:02 pm