Solid Wood Floor Fixing

Postby mikemahony » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:58 pm

Hello all,

I am intending to lay a solid wood floor directly on to concrete. It is very dry and mostly very flat so I plan to use adhesive to fix it.

One area has a small step (a few mm) which I am sure the wood can absorb by bending slightly but I want to use screws in addition to the adhesive to hold the wood over the step while the adhesive sets.

Now the question: If I leave the screws in, will I have problems with expansion and contraction? If I take the srews out will the adhesive hold?

Any advise would be a big help. Thanks!
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby dobbass » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Just watched some guy on youtube with screws that snap off leaving a very small hole to fill, i would say if it needs screws it needs screws make them permanent and fill the holes later.

Progress to next rank:

Postby TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:04 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!