solid wood floor self adhesive underlay
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gizmo
Apprentice
Apprentice

solid wood floor self adhesive underlay

Post by gizmo » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:52 pm

Anyone know anything about an adhesive underlay for use with solid wood planks? It is supposed to allow solid wood to be laid without nailing and so avoids the use of a ply subfloor over a concrete base. We are lifting old wood blocks and replacing with an oak floor. We would like to use solid wood planks but have a height issue so want to avoid laying a ply subfloor. Anyone got any experience with this adhesive underlay system and whether it is any good? All comments welcome. Many thanks.

gizmo
Apprentice
Apprentice

self adhesive underlays - any good?

Post by gizmo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Lots of people have looked at my question - has nobody got any thoughts on the subject. Any advice / opinion wlecome as I really want to lay a solid wood floor (rather than an engineered one) but I have a potential expansion/contrcation problem as one long edge is in the middle of the room and cannot allow an expansion gap. Please ..... any comments from anyone about self-adhesive underlays?

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Tall Tone » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi Gizmo
I personally have no experience with this product although I have seen samples at my local distributor. I am sure it would work I am just a little dubious as to how long it would last.
As for having a long edge in the middle of the room, you could use a flexible adhesive to allow a little movement, look at Sika T54 or Bona R850. If the boards are very wide or the area very large you may need to mechanically fix
If the problem is height or not wanting to use a ply base, which ever way you choose you need to ensure the concrete floor is level to the requirements of the wood manufacturer (or British Standard) and also within moisture tolerances and dust free. You may also need a primer or DPM.
Regards
TT

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:48 pm