soundproofing a velux roof window
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris harcombe
Labourer
Labourer

soundproofing a velux roof window

by chris harcombe » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 pm

What is an effective, medium cost method to soundproof a velux roof window from outside traffic noise? The ceiling reccess is 27cm deep to window and 15cm deep to the start of window frame. Any suggestions on materials and method would be greatly appreciated.

decoman
Labourer
Labourer

Re: soundproofing a velux roof window

by decoman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:24 am

[quote="chris harcombe"]What is an effective, medium cost method to soundproof a velux roof window from outside traffic noise? The ceiling reccess is 27cm deep to window and 15cm deep to the start of window frame. Any suggestions on materials and method would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Well this reply is somewhat late coming back, but I would say you have not too many options in this regard that still leave the window available and functioning.

To my mind you have two options, and both involve fitting blinds.

1. If you fit external awning blinds to your roof windows, you will definitely reduce rain noise against the pane, however the main benefit of an awning blind is to cut out the heat of the sun from directly hitting the pane.

2. You could fit a blackout blind internally. This will reduce the decibels, but I'm not absolutely sure (without checking) how much by.

Hope this helps

Regards

Martin

Donkeyshed
Labourer
Labourer

by Donkeyshed » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi Chris,
did you find a solution to soundproofing your Velux window? I have a number of these which I would really like to soundproof. Would be grateful for any info/ideas passed on.
Thanks,
John

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:30 am