Soundproofing an Alcove and Party Wall From Noisy Neighbour
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
StG
Labourer
Labourer

Soundproofing an Alcove and Party Wall From Noisy Neighbour

by StG » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:43 am

Hi, I am seeking advice on a project that I have started concerning an upstairs bedroom. The neighbouring tenant is clearly heard daily and more so in the early hours, you can hear coughing and bed creaking amongst other things. In addition this neighbour is non-communicative/troublesome.
Anyway my Local authorities' Environmental Health dept. states that my only option is to Soundproof as the nuisance is classed as acceptable 'living' noises. Never the less it's like the neighbour is inside your own home and very irritating. So I determined that the noise is emanating prominently from an alcove wall between an upstairs bedroom's chimney breast. I have misguidedly purchased 15mm knauf soundshield plasterboard and put it up from floor to ceiling with plasterboard adhesive also put filler in any gaps to make it all a solid airtight structure. However this has made absolutely no difference in reducing the sound coming through. So I am debating about what to do next...
All advice welcome but I do not intend to remove what work that I have already finished so hopefully someone out there has an idea on what to add to my project in progress.

Raul_breganzo
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Soundproofing an Alcove and Party Wall From Noisy Neighbour

by Raul_breganzo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:35 pm

I have a similar issue and I applied the same soundproof boards without any change whatsoever!
I've been told the only way to fix this is to have a stud wall fitted with sound proof bars/insulation etc or something along those lines!

I also think the sound travels through the wooden beams and as they interconnect it's almost impossible to repair this issue!?

StG
Labourer
Labourer

by StG » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:38 am

]Thanks for the response. I have made some enquiries on-line about 'Saarpor' Latex Sound Proof Wall Liner
https://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/saarpor-latex-sound-proof-wall-liner.html

And I'm considering this as the next option, however this stuff is expensive and I was advised that it will only muffle sound but not higher frequencies like the the creaking furniture and coughing.

milandouglas
Labourer
Labourer

by milandouglas » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:55 am

You can use Acoustic partitions to partition rooms. It is a flexible space dividing partition wall. Which is made of aluminum frame with excellent durability and rigidity. It is the best choice for places where noise reduction and space dividing are the primary task.These sliding folding partition products shape space by providing flexible sight and sound dividing, enable to control your space.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:47 am