Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Palulah
Labourer
Labourer

Soundproofing putting up boards over existing walls

by Palulah » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Hi!

I live in a 1920's mid terrace and the walls must be very thin as i can hear my neighbours, talking, tv, kids, etc. Not too bad in evening but can be a pain at 6 in the morning!

I have been looking into soundproofing, there is a company that claim to put up boards over existing walls and heypresto no noise!

Has anyone done this? does it work? I don't want to waste my money.

Nimrod
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Nimrod » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:33 pm

The good news is that you can reduce the amount of noise that comes through a party wall in the way that you outline.

However whoever does the job must first establish that it's coming through the wall and not by way of flanking routes such as open windows or cracks or holes in the wall above the ceiling or below the floorboards.

So the first step is a proper diagnosis. I suggest you check out the project page. Click on the link at the top of the page that says: Click here for projects related to the topic Noisy Neighbours and look under sound proofing.

The projects will give you a good idea of what is and is not achievable.

Let's know what you decide to and how you get on.

B:o)

daleyboy
Labourer
Labourer

by daleyboy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:00 pm

I also have the same problem (thin walls) can you give me more information on companies that add soundproofing to existing walls please?

many thanks
dale

daleyboy
Labourer
Labourer

by daleyboy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:04 pm

Where is the projects page please?

dale

Nimrod
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Nimrod » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:23 pm

Dale,

The following link will take you to the Soundproofing Project Page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/so ... e_home.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards
N:o)

daleyboy
Labourer
Labourer

by daleyboy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:05 pm

Thanks Nimrod ..that was very helpfull and i should have looked more before asking ...i couldnt seem to find out how to buy these items and do they deliver anywhere in the country ?...im from cumbria

many thanks again
dale

Nimrod
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Nimrod » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:49 pm

Daleyboy,

Thanks for raising this point.

I've tried to find the information you're seeking by following the links and it's not immediately obvious.

All I can say is that it's there and I would like to help further sadly I'm not allowed to post the link that would take you direct to the pricing page.

Best wishes and thank you for using the forum.

Nimrod

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:45 am