Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JOEDD
Labourer
Labourer

soundproofing walls

by JOEDD » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi.
Im sure this is a subject that keeps coming up and up, i live in a 1960's 3 bed semi with a solid brick party wall.
I have new neighbours with 4 children so now have a problem with everyday noises coming through, fortunatly not music just tv, talking, shouting and running up and down stairs, As it seems to be general noise i know its not something i can change.
Anyway i plan to build a free standing stud wall, with a 25mm airgap between it and the the existing wall, use Rockwool RWA45 75mm and 2 layers of paster board.
Could anyone offer any advice on doing this and if im using the best stuff, also if i should use a specific plasterboard for soundproofing.
The final thing is, they are plannng to do a loft conversion next year and they seem to be the sort that will just throw a floor down and call it a room.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how this will effect us regarding the noise?
I hope ive made some sense, many thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:01 pm

JOEDD,
Try the rockwool solution in one room and see if it has the desired effect. Construct using screws so you can take it apart if it doesn't work.
If your floor joists run into the party wall your false wall may not work.
Assuming your loft is not converted, their loft may not affect you, unless their stairs are bolted to the existing party wall.
end

HH
Apprentice
Apprentice

by HH » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:23 am

Try “googling” for “sound insulation” and/or “sound stop”.
This should bring up web sites dedicated to reducing noise transmission thru walls with some usefull information. Don’t forget this site’s project page.

If using screws for later disassembly one point to consider is that to achieve best sound proofing qualities from a stud wall it has to be airtight, ie it will need sealed all the way round.
Be aware that noise can come from floor and ceiling areas too and any other "leak" paths.

Various options available from using “sound stop panels” “resilient bars” “acoustic membrane” or combinations. How much space can you afford to lose as different methods have different thicknesses.

There is a sound proofing plasterboard, various thicknesses and heavier than standard stuff of same dimensions. Search “Acoustic plasterboard”.
And , yes, for the minimal price difference I would use it.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with your suggested method, actually it sounds perfectly fine, just pointing out that there are other options just in case you are not aware of them.

Finally, the bumf may lead you to believe that there will be a miracle cure to the noise, results may not be as good as you would like.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:56 am