sourcing 44mm internal doors?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
menziesthefish
Labourer
Labourer

sourcing 44mm internal doors?

Post by menziesthefish » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi there,

I've recently moved into a converted flat where all the internal doors are 44mm deep - I assume because at some point there was a need for fire doors.

I'm really keen to replace them all with 'normal' looking doors, but am struggling to find anywhere that stocks doors of this depth that aren't fire doors (and therefore charge fire door prices). Does anyone know if such doors are common or where I can find some? In particular ones that have frosted glass for bathrooms?

If not, is my only option to fit regular 35mm doors (of which there seems to be a huge range) and somehow 'fill' the door frames so that they fit well? If so, how easy is converting a door frame to fit a thinner door?

Thanks for any advice, all a bit new to me...!

Rgds
M

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

Post by toplondonchef » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Menziesthefish
Once you have purchased your 35mm doors you have 2 options to "fill" the door frames to make doors fit;
1. Fit new doors then measure the gap between the door closed and the existing door stop batten, measure the depth of the existing door stop batten. You may be able to get a proper wood yard to cut you timber to fit the gap, then simply pin into place and decorate to match existing finish (don't cut timber too tight though, allow 1-2mm for paint build up
OR -
2. Remove existing door stop battens using a wide blade chissel to prise off, start at bottom of batten and tap chissel under the batten using a hammer. Prise batten off door lining working up to top of frame (door stop battens usually fixed by panel pins or oval wire nails) If door frames have several layers of paint build up you can score with a sharp blade between the battens and door lining to ease removal. You should get battens off in 1 piece so should be able to re-use
Hang your new doors and when fit is correct, re-fit the door stop battens, again allowing 1-2mm gap for paint build up
Repair and decorate door frames as you wish
Hope this helps and good luck
Toplondonchef

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 am