SPIRAL STAIRS BUILDING REGS
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
talat
Labourer
Labourer

SPIRAL STAIRS BUILDING REGS

Post by talat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 pm

HELP PLEASE!
DO I NEED BUILDING REGS TO PUT A SPIRAL STAIRS FROM GROUND FLOOR LIVING ROOM TO FIRST FLOOR. THE ROOM UPSTAIRS IS A BEDROOM AND HAS ACCESS TO IT THROUGH NORMAL STAIRS BUT THROUGH ANOTHER ROOM WHICH I WANT TO USE IN EMERGENCY ONLY.
ANY COMMENTS MUCH APPRECIATED. BEST REGARDS TAL[b][/b][b][/b]

Racket
Labourer
Labourer

Spiral Stairs

Post by Racket » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:10 am

Hello Talet.
Officially no you don’t need building regulations approval to put a spiral staircase in place providing you are not carrying out a larger renovation / refurb. Having said that it might be worth a quick phone call to you local planning office to double check. Have a look at the building regulation information on the following page - Google "[url]completestairsystems.co.uk/client_info.html [/url]"
To comply with building regulations a spiral must conform to British Standard 5395 part 2 - Google "[url]completestairsystems.co.uk/pdf_download/BS[/url]-205395_201984.pdf" This dictates the diameter and rise / going the spiral should have. The company you purchase the spiral from will be able to advise. Be aware that if you one day sell the property a surveyor might notice non compliant issues with the spiral.

Best Regards
Last edited by Racket on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

Post by eljaybee » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:12 am

If you are planning on creating a new opening throught the first floor then you will definately need building regs approval.

talat
Labourer
Labourer

spiral stairs

Post by talat » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks Racket your reply is much appreciated and answers my query I would ring the building control and make sure the stair I buy conforms to bs
Cheers... Talat

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1