Split gasket on new uPVC door
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

_rich_
Labourer
Labourer

Split gasket on new uPVC door

by _rich_ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:01 am

Hi,

Hopefully just a quick question...

I've recently had a new uPVC back door fitted and I noticed when looking from the inside that the external gasket was bulging.

Inspecting it from the outside I found that there were 2 small (about 5mm) cuts running along the gasket (not across).

Being a brand new door I called the fitter back to have a look, he agreed to talk to the manufacturer and see what could be done.

So far he's made an attempt to repair the gasket by removing the glass pushing the gasket into place, gluing over the top of the cuts and then refitting the glass.

I'm not really happy with this as a solution, my primary reason is that I'm paying for a new door, not a repaired door.

[b]Am I being unreasonable?[/b]

Even if I did accept the repair I don't think the standard of repair is acceptable, the glue (which apparently was approved by the door manufacturer) has left a brittle white crust on the gasket, if I didn't know any better I would say that it was simply superglue - surely if a repair was attempted there's some specific rubber glue that remains flexible? I was also told that the joint in the gasket was made at the place where it had the cuts, I don't really buy this as several people (including the manufacturer) tell me they join the gasket at the corner at the same point where they weld the uPVC.

The 'repair' will probably hold, but that's not the really the point, it's a brand new door and should be defect free.

Any thoughts/comments much appreciated :)

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 pm