Split Load Consumer Unit - RCD tripping
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GMS
Labourer
Labourer

by GMS » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi,

A fault developed in my split load unit after a vacuumn cleaner, which may have been faulty, was plugged in and tripped the RCD [Wylex rcd 80a 30ma type WRS80/2]

After disconnection of the cleaner the RCD would not accept being reset.

That circuit was isolated but the rcd could still not be reset.

Worse, and to cut a long story short , another ring main now trips the unit as does the immersion heater circuit.

One of the circuits is not directly controlled by the RCD but presumably is picking up the leakage via the common connected neutrals.

My query is:

Is it possible for the rcd to be weakened as against outright failure and trip on an even lower ma reading ie less than 30ma?

I am puzzled that circuits which were perfectly OK before are now causing problems but it is still unaffected by others.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Split Load Consumer Unit - RCD tripping

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:29 am

[quote="GMS"]Hi,

A fault developed in my split load unit after a vacuumn cleaner, which may have been faulty, was plugged in and tripped the RCD [Wylex rcd 80a 30ma type WRS80/2]

After disconnection of the cleaner the RCD would not accept being reset.

That circuit was isolated but the rcd could still not be reset.

Worse, and to cut a long story short , another ring main now trips the unit as does the immersion heater circuit.

One of the circuits is not directly controlled by the RCD but presumably is picking up the leakage via the common connected neutrals.

My query is:

Is it possible for the rcd to be weakened as against outright failure and trip on an even lower ma reading ie less than 30ma?

I am puzzled that circuits which were perfectly OK before are now causing problems but it is still unaffected by others.

Any advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

GMS
CALL in a electrician to look at this

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:43 am

Although I have come across faulty RCD's in most cases they are new. Very rare to have to change an old one being oversensitive. But the test instrument for RCD's is expensive and what Blakey says is most likely cheapest option as the meters are not easy to use and it could be something completely different. I have known a RCD to stick and for this reason they have a test button to check if stuck or not and an earth / neutral fault on a sticking RCD may not work it but once operated it will become unstuck and will start to work correct. Because of meter prices required to check this calling in an electrician makes sense.

GMS
Labourer
Labourer

by GMS » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:38 pm

[quote="ericmark"]Although I have come across faulty RCD's in most cases they are new. Very rare to have to change an old one being oversensitive. But the test instrument for RCD's is expensive and what Blakey says is most likely cheapest option as the meters are not easy to use and it could be something completely different. I have known a RCD to stick and for this reason they have a test button to check if stuck or not and an earth / neutral fault on a sticking RCD may not work it but once operated it will become unstuck and will start to work correct. Because of meter prices required to check this calling in an electrician makes sense.[/quote]

Cheers,
I tried test button but to no avail.
Feels like a replacement RCD.
GMS

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:46 am