Split Load CU
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GraemeDPM
Labourer
Labourer

Split Load CU

Post by GraemeDPM » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:34 pm

Sorry for simple question.

Looking at replacement consumer units, it appears that all the best ones are split load. From what I can see, it seems that half the circuits are protected with a RCB and half are not. Obviously there is a separate isolator for each half of the load.

What are the advantages of a split load unit? Why would it not be better to have all the circuits protected by the RCB and surely of you only wanted to shut off some of the circuits, you would just pull the individual MCBs?

I am sure that there is an obvious answer - so apologies for being thick :oops:

fridspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fridspark » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:58 am

First of all under the Part-P that came in Jan 2005 unless your self certifying then you are not able to under take a fuse board replacement (sorry but's that's the law)
There are no advantages or disadvantages of a split load board, you are required under the wiring regulations to have an RCD protecting sockets that could be reasonably use by portable equipment outside.
So if you have sockets on the ground floor of a house then a split load board is for you (no questions asked)
my advice would be to call in an electrician and get him to under take the work (make sure he or she is Part-P registered other wise you will still have the smae problem as mentioned before.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:16 pm