Splitting 3 Lamp Ceiling Light to a Double Light Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FancyPants
Labourer
Labourer

Splitting 3 Lamp Ceiling Light to a Double Light Switch

by FancyPants » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi all.
I'm no stranger to DIY but fitting new ceiling lights has me stumped. Also, please forgive my terminology. I'm no expert!
Recently moved house. Living room light has 3 lamps on the one light fitting. This is controlled by a double lightswitch. This switch splits the light. 1 of the switch buttons controls 1 lamp whilst the other switch button controls the other 2 lamps. I didn't like this at first but now I think it's great for brightness control. So I'm wanting to put new light in. Got the new light, which again has 3 lamps on it. I want to recreate the switch setup. Inside the rose, the old light has no coloured wires. There are 3 wires, all with transparent covering.
So we have:
From the ceiling, 2 lots of twin&earth (although one has no live that I can see).
Both twin&earth earths are joined together.
Live (red) is connected to one light wire.
Neutral (black) is connected to another light wire.
Neutral (black) from other twin&earth is connected to the remaining light wire.

My new light has the standard Brown, Blue and Earth.
Apologies if this is simple stuff but lighting really does confuse me. How do I wire the new light in?

Thanks all.
Attachments
3.jpg
1.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Splitting 3 Lamp Ceiling Light to a Double Light Switch

by Mr White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 pm

You can only connect your new light to be either on or off.
This is because it is the way it is designed, as was your previous light but some one re wired it to how it is now.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 pm