Spot lights in bathroom rusty, but with unusal cut-out
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cs94njw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Spot lights in bathroom rusty, but with unusal cut-out

by cs94njw » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi All,

We bought our first house and the bathroom has 4 downlights. Well, actually they're spot lights with reflector bulbs in them.

After about 6 months, the lights stopped working. The bulbs were fine, but when I started to unscrew the bulbs, they would often turn on. When screwed properly back into the light, the bulbs would turn off. Sometimes knocking the bulbs would mean they would turn off, but often they'd turn off again a bit later.

The downlights are metal, and not unsurprisingly for a bathroom, they're rusty. Looking at my trusty DIY manual, I should have special lights in the bathroom - ones where the water can't get to the bulbs - zone 1-3?

So I looked at replacing the lights, but when I checked the cut-out, it was 90cm (each light is 110cm in diameter). Looking at lights in B&Q and quite a few websites, the cut-outs tend to be 70cm.

Am I looking at getting the ceiling replastered, just so I can cut out some proper cut-outs? Or can I still get 90cm cut-out lights, especially zones 1-3?

Can anyone recommend a solution?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Nicholas

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Spot lights in bathroom rusty, but with unusal cut-out

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:05 am

[quote="cs94njw"]Hi All,

We bought our first house and the bathroom has 4 downlights. Well, actually they're spot lights with reflector bulbs in them.

After about 6 months, the lights stopped working. The bulbs were fine, but when I started to unscrew the bulbs, they would often turn on. When screwed properly back into the light, the bulbs would turn off. Sometimes knocking the bulbs would mean they would turn off, but often they'd turn off again a bit later.

The downlights are metal, and not unsurprisingly for a bathroom, they're rusty. Looking at my trusty DIY manual, I should have special lights in the bathroom - ones where the water can't get to the bulbs - zone 1-3?

So I looked at replacing the lights, but when I checked the cut-out, it was 90cm (each light is 110cm in diameter). Looking at lights in B&Q and quite a few websites, the cut-outs tend to be 70cm.

Am I looking at getting the ceiling replastered, just so I can cut out some proper cut-outs? Or can I still get 90cm cut-out lights, especially zones 1-3?

Can anyone recommend a solution?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Nicholas[/quote]

NICHOLAS
Go to your electrical wholesalers , and inquire wat inserts they stock , with integral fitting to cover existing holes.

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:33 am