Spotlight with switch override
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tomonl
Labourer
Labourer

Spotlight with switch override

by tomonl » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi just need help gettin my head around this please.

Is this method correct?

Ive got a juction box with Live neutral and earth from mains, from this ive ran live down to switch and back up into junction box so ive got a switch live using 2core cable.

from the junc box Ive ran a 3core+e to an outside light with a pir which was Live, Neutral, Earth and Switch Live terminals. If i link them up correctly then the outside light should operate itself if the pir detects movement or it should come on permanently when i flick the switch.

Is this correct?

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Spotlight with switch override

by stoneyboy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:32 pm

tomonl,
Some PIR lights do not have a terminal to direct feed the light but if yours does the turning on the switch should turn on the light.
end

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Spotlight with switch override

by ericmark » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Using grid switches one can get centre off so the switch can be put for PIR - Off - Override (MK K4899) and run three core and earth to the lamp. Most lamps have a stuffing gland for round cable and for outside use where there is direct sun light the cable should really be black to resist damage from the UV light from the sun. So likely you will need four core flex and maybe a weather proof junction box depending on design.

Again consider if you will need to isolate using grid switch you could include a fuse (MK K4890) it is a problem when you get water into an outside lamp and it trips out the RCD the fuse will only break the line wire as will the switch so you could have a problem with an earth - neutral with water. The key switch (MK K4917) is double pole so using two switches one key and other normal so you can isolate so this also needs consideration.

Not all PIR's can be bypassed with some it messes up the programming.

But I would include some method to switch the light off. Next doors light goes silly when I transmit specially with side band and also has a problem with my outside light. My light will go out when theirs goes on. Then once theirs goes off mine goes on again. That triggers their light. So we get a traffic light effect between the two. Lucky I can switch mine off with ease. I included a switch mainly for bulb changes but as you can see really does need an isolator.

What you have said will work of course but I would consider how to switch it off.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:33 pm