spur for washing machine
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
skin
Apprentice
Apprentice

spur for washing machine

Post by skin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:30 am

hi all,
just wanted to make sure that i am going about this job in the right way,
i have 3 double sockets in the kitchen on a ring main, i need another double socket installed under the worktop for the washing machine. is it ok to run a single 2.5 mm cable from the nearest ring main socket to a 13amp fused spur and then from the fused spur another single 2.5mm cable to the double socket for the washing machine? or is there a better method?
many thanks for reading

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

Post by TOPSPARK » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:13 am

the ideal way would be to keep the switch fuse spur on the ring main this would mean extending one leg of the ring into the new switch fusr spur and a return leg back to the double socket.After this take a 2.5mm cable off the load side of the switch fuse spur to a single unswitched socket for the washing machine. This is how things are installed in modern kitchens these days.
regards
Topspark

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Yes you can follow that method if you go to IET website http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring ... /index.cfm and look for BS 7671:2008, Corrigendum (July 2008) (57 k) Updated June 2008 you will find a correction that can be down loaded at the bottom of this is a guide as to what is allowed with 13 amp sockets.
Eric

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:02 pm