spurred light fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

spurred light fitting

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:39 pm

just removed the ceiling rose in my bathroom to replace the light and have noticed that there are 4 reds and 4 blacks (5 including the pendant). on the red side, two are obvoiusly the loop, one goes off to the switch.

i have managed to access all the wires in the attic and have discovered that the mystery additional wire is in fact a spur feeding the light in the toilet. i confirmed this by looking at the rose in the toilet and as expected there are two red and two blacks.

two questions:

i) is this a safe way of doing things? i assume it's fine. of course it would be better for me to incorporate the toilet light back into the loop and take out the spur but am i worrying unnecessarily? whilst the wires are just about accessible space is tight and i'd rather not do any work if it's not strictly necessary.

ii)i was hoping to run a spur from one of the loop wires going into the light for the 3A processor unit for the shower, by teeing into the loop leading up to the offending bathroom light. as that light is already running a spur is this ok? i can't see why not.

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 pm

I get the impression you think lights are wired in a ringmain. they are not. lights are wired "like spurs off spurs off spurs" otherwise known as radial circuits. check the diagrams on this site for clarity.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:47 pm