Spurs off ring circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kfad
Labourer
Labourer

Spurs off ring circuit

by kfad » Fri May 11, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi, I'm renovating my house and when I pulled up the floor in the living room I found that all the sockets are fed by individual spurs from junction boxes (each socket has its own spur cable and junction box)…is this safe/legal? All the wiring is 2.5mm and the total floor area is less than 50m2. All the refs I can find talk about only taking one spur from a socket and make no mention of how may spurs can be done in this way. Any help would be great, thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri May 11, 2007 4:29 pm

This was probably done by amateur who misunderstood principle of rings.
The regs say you can have as many spurs as you have sockets on the ring, the idea being that when ring first wired all sockets would be on the ring thus allowing as many again to be added later as required. further the floor area of the property, to avoid overloading there should be 1 ring for every 100 sq mtrs or part thereof, ie 101 + sq mtrs requires 2 rings, & if more than 1 ring required then load to be as balanced across rings as poss.
Other options would be radials fused at 20 A which allow tree type spuring from one 2.5mm as long as area less than 20 sq mtrs, hope this helps SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:18 pm