Squaring a Round Corner Before Tiling L-Shaped Section
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sibbsd
Labourer
Labourer

Squaring a Round Corner Before Tiling L-Shaped Section

by sibbsd » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:03 pm

I need to tile an L-shaped section which is currently a rounded wall corner (corner faces towards you - external?). My plan is to square the corner, then tile in two square sections. The round corner is probably a 150mm radius curve. I was thinking of a section of angle iron at 90 degrees, secured into the plaster/ brickwork which would be then either tiled directly or covered with board, then tiled. Or a series of corner brackets spaced, then connected with board. The idea is to match the 90 degrees with the existing walls, not to just add plasterboard to it. Any advice? I cannot seem to imagine the best way to achieve a strong finish suitable for tiling. Thanks.

thedoctor

Re: Squaring a Round Corner Before Tiling L-Shaped Section

by thedoctor » Mon May 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi, fix a board to one side of the wall with the edge of the board flusg with the return wall. Fix some expanded metal lathing to the curve using galvanised nails. Then full the void with sand and cement mixed at about 4 to 1.
Dont try to fill all at once, force the mortar in and do it in 2 or 3 layers to build up a nice sharp corner. See photo attached. Please do let us know how you get on and send in a photo if you like. We always like to see how our users get on with their projects.[attachment=0]corner wall.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
corner wall.jpg
corner wall.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 2275 times

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:07 pm