stained porcelain tiles

Postby ajones » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:35 pm

i have just had electric underfloor heating and porcelain tiles layed in my conservatory but the tiles were not sealed and the grout has stained them,the tiler who fitted them wants to tile over the top ,i am concerned that the heating will not be as good and the tiles will not bond to the damaged ones do i make him rip it up and start again. :
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby give it a try » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:35 pm

You can get some good cleaners from made by a company called lithofin - seen them here [url][/url] i have used this on procelain tiles with very fine pin prick type of finish, and it got the grout residue off. You can then get a sealer - if that doesnt work you can call lithofin direct and speak to technical and they were pretty good.
As far as the effectiveness of the heating - it will take longer to warm up, but the tiles will hold the heat and then cool down longer after the heating goes off, hope this helps.
give it a try
Progress to next rank:

Postby NCD » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:15 am

Hi, I was under the impression that porcelain tiles have a glaze on them already so how can the be sealed with seal? I know you can seal the grout but because porcelain has this glaze how can the actual tile be sealed???

Progress to next rank:

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!