Stair Joiner advice please
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marx
Labourer
Labourer

Stair Joiner advice please

by Marx » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Hello all,

I have a staircase that I need to install and was hoping someone would confirm that the installation method I have been advised to use is suitable.

The trimmer that attaches to the top riser needs to run at right angles to the other floor joists. I have been advised that I need to provide a cantilever double joist. To construct this cantilever I am told that I should cut out sections that are the width of the double joist and half the height. Then I should do the same on the cantilever joist and 'slot' the 2 together. (Crosshalving joint?)

Does this sound familiar?

Is this the normal procedure?

Can anybody offer alternative suggestions?

I am worried that the joint will not be strong enough as I am having to cut half way down the floor joists.

Kind regards

Marx

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:49 pm

The afvice you have been given sounds very perculiar.

A cantilever is an oversailing structural member, ie a 3m long beam between two posts 2m apart will result in a 1m cantilever. You should never use a half joint with floor joists a you are significanly weakening the joists. While there are traditional methods of installing joists, the modern normal method is to use joist hangers, these are quite cheap and you can buy them from any builders merchants. Pop into an good bookshop and buy a basic construciton book, ie Chudley, prob iro £15 and will have all the basic details you need.

Regards

LCL

Marx
Labourer
Labourer

by Marx » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:19 am

Thank you for the resonse.

I have the Chudley book so will have a look.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:42 am