Staircase - closed string problem
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spantik
Apprentice
Apprentice

Staircase - closed string problem

by spantik » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 pm

The gloss paint starts to split & crack soon after I have repainted the closed string - where it adjoins the walls on both sides of our staircase. I always apply it correctly and with undercoat. Could the cracking be due to the movement associated with going up and down the stairs? It always looks a mess and now I am recarpeting I want to fix the problem for good.

I was wondering if fixing a moulding (quadrant?) over the place where the string joins the wall all the way down the stairs might solve the problem? It woud cover the messy bit and, once nailed into place, if I seal it with flexible sealant and paint it, it might not crack again?

Has anyone got any ideas? Can you see any drawbacks to this one or suggest anything else? Thanks. I'm fed up with the mess!

johnthejoiner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Staircase - closed string problem

by johnthejoiner » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:22 pm

this is movement on the stair string can you put extra fixings into the wall then fill and paint over
fitting a moulding will cover the first crack but when you caulk the joint between moulding and wall same problem
fix at about 400-600 centres with large plugs and screws if you can access under stairs fix there under the stair treads

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am