Standard Tools for a Site Carpenter
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bezel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Standard Tools for a Site Carpenter

Post by bezel » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Im sorry i know this is a D.I.Y forum but i wasnt sure of another site where i could ask.
I would like to know what any carpenters on here would consider to be standard site carpenters equipment , i am a trainee carpenter and just about to start building up a tool box .
Ive noticed from working on sites with carpenters a lot of them use :
Irwin / marples chisels
makita 12 14 volt drills
dewalt chop saws
stabilia levels etc
was wondering if anyone could add to this or maybe give some links of where to get the tools i need from off the web
many thanks ,jon

canny
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by canny » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:22 pm

Get a good hammer ,like an erwing 20 oz, you've mentioned the basics.also get sharp saws and keep chisel's sharp. Remember make sure your tools stay sharp. Have fun.you have a great career ahead of you. One other thing ..when you stop caring about the standard of your work, give it up

bezel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bezel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:26 am

thanks canny thats some good advice

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi. Yep, I'm with Canny – particularly about the enjoy doing it bit. I don't think anybody really works with wood just for the money, there is a magic there too. Although I'm a cabinet maker I've always found the site carpenters I've worked with very friendly and willing to share advice. Just ask, listen and show willing!

quicksilver600
Labourer
Labourer

Post by quicksilver600 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi

The list is endless mate like the others said try not to scrimp on tools (buy cheap buy twice)

i buy quite a lot off ebay but you have to box clever shopping on there somtimes.
If you use a local tool shop they ofter give good discounts to students/apprentices if you have a chat with them , as they know you will stick with them if they see you right.

droylsden18
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by droylsden18 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:53 pm

i find a site called toolstation.com is very good,screwfix is another one,it is advisable to buy the best you can afford but there are some reasonable makes such as ryobi wiche are quite good,dont be afraid of trying cheaper tools b&q do some good power tools.Dont be afraid to ask the lads on site weres best for tools
hope this helps

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:28 am