Starting a Permitted Development Prior to Completing a FPA Extension
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bwalla15
Labourer
Labourer

Starting a Permitted Development Prior to Completing a FPA Extension

by bwalla15 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:12 pm

I have recently had planning approval for a double side extension (with hip end). Planning rejected my initial plan to have a gable end (not in keeping with the houses on the street which are majority hip ends). The reason I wanted a gable end is so I could do an in-roof loft conversion and run stairs up side wall of new build utilising the sapce created from a gable end.

My question being, under Permitted Development I am entitle to do a loft conversion (with hip - gable end) as I meet all the requirements, less than 50m3 etc. Can I go ahead and build the gable end and crack on with the conversion or do I need to build the hip roof on the new extension (to align with submitted plans) first?

Obviosuly I do not want to put a hip end on, then pull it down and build up the gable end and put the new roof on...makes no sense as I have explained to planning but fell on deaf ears. Likewise I do not want to build the gable end up only for planning to tell me it is not acceptable as I have not constructed the extension as per agreed plans.

Numerous neighbours have already done a hip-gable and from I can see no application made for a Legal Development Certificate (not legally required).

I am currently getting quotes for the gable end and full loft conversion and building control have told me they will aprove anything as long as it is built correctly.

All help appreciated

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Starting a Permitted Development Prior to Completing a FPA Extension

by welsh brickie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:17 pm

talk to the planning officer he will advise you better, they are quite approachable, don't try and go ahead without approval

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1