Sticky Kitchen Work Surface After Applying Danish OIl
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Manners
Labourer
Labourer

Sticky Kitchen Work Surface After Applying Danish OIl

by Manners » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi

I recently had an Ikea kitchen installed, the work surface we got has a solid wood layer on top of particle board. When it was installed the installer applied Danish oil to the surface and recommend this is performed 3 or 4 times following this. I performed this and the surface seemed fine but a couple months later and after various cleans the surface is really tacky and sticky. After speaking to Ikea they advised us we applied too much danish oil and we need to strip this back..

Does anyone have any recomendations on how I can sort this out? I spent a lot on getting this in and love it but it's so sticky.. I read you can sand back with fine sandpaper but I'm worried about damaging the surface or so far back it's no longer protected.. can anyone suggest the correct steps and getting this sorted!

Thanks

Shane05
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Sticky Kitchen Work Surface After Applying Danish OIl

by Shane05 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Best things is to contact Ikea person to come & look into this. Pay their service charges as no body can resolve this issue of your's surely they are expert in it kindly don't call & bring any local guy this may effect your kitchen surface in a negative a for a long term.

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Sticky Kitchen Work Surface After Applying Danish OIl

by Sometimewoodworker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:51 am

Manners wrote:Hi

I recently had an Ikea kitchen installed, the work surface we got has a solid wood layer on top of particle board. When it was installed the installer applied Danish oil to the surface and recommend this is performed 3 or 4 times following this. I performed this and the surface seemed fine but a couple months later and after various cleans the surface is really tacky and sticky. After speaking to Ikea they advised us we applied too much danish oil and we need to strip this back..

Does anyone have any recomendations on how I can sort this out? I spent a lot on getting this in and love it but it's so sticky.. I read you can sand back with fine sandpaper but I'm worried about damaging the surface or so far back it's no longer protected.. can anyone suggest the correct steps and getting this sorted!

Thanks

First you say that you have a wood veneer over particle board, that veneer is quite likely to be extremely thin, if so then you can not sand it.

2) how the problem occurred. Did the surface ever cure? If it did what did you clean the surface with, that may have caused the problem.
The process is after lightly coating the surface wipe it off throughly and wait for that to cure minimum time 8 hours in a warm place up to a week if it is in a cold area. Repeat 2 or 3 times.
leave time, a day or two, between steps
3) there are a few things to try to get the sticky oil off. But try on a small area first. A) white sprit, dampen a clean soft cloth with white sprit and rub the surface, you may need to do this several times to get the finish off. Be careful how you dispose of the rags as they can spontaneously combust.
B) if that doesn't work try acetone (pure, nail varnish remover may not be pure)
C) after getting as much off as possible, if it is still not drying I did hear that adding a tiny amount of olive oil may help.
D) if you can strip it back to bare wood then Osmo is a much easier finish to use and apply.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=edruHO13yZg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:42 pm