stinky smell
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
halfped
Labourer
Labourer

stinky smell

by halfped » Thu May 10, 2007 11:28 pm

Over the past couple of weeks there's been a stinky smell in my 1900 build house, it smells like sewerage. I've had no problems with the drainage from anywhere until today when the loo blocked. I called out a drainage-type-plumber who diagnosed "puppies on a roll" as the blockage, but couldn't identify a problem for my sewerage smell. All the pipe work was checked inside and out. The only way to relieve the smell in the house is to have the doors/windows open. The plumber suggested it may be a rising damp problem, could this be the case or is it something else?
All suggestions and help grately recieved as I'm too embarassed to invite friends over at the mo!
Jo

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri May 11, 2007 5:43 pm

Get another plumber to have a look Jo. There are any number of things it could be but its very unlikely that you have been attacked by rising damp in the last two weeks.

mickyar
Labourer
Labourer

smells

by mickyar » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:22 pm

I have the same problem I have been reading about rising damp but have not come across any thing about rising damp causes smells I do not have any drains in that part of the house let me know if you find out anything
mike

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:03 pm

possibly collapsed or cracked drain, get a drainage expert out, aim range do the cctv drain inspection, if too expensive you can lift the floor to check the drainage yourself (if wooden floors).

BplBabe
Labourer
Labourer

by BplBabe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:54 pm

:(
I've had the same problem with a smell in my kitchen for the last couple of weeks.

Basically I have a kitchen extension and the soil pipe effectively runs through this. The area where the soil pipe enters the kitchen has been letting in water for a while (dodgy flat roof repairs before I moved in I suspect). Water doesn't pour in or anything, the area just gets a bit damp.

Anyway, for the last week there has been a rather foul smell in the kitchen - it's hideous when I return from work. There doesn't appear to be any blockage anywhere.

Am just wondering whether its likely to be just the damp from the roof or whether it may be something more sinister and linked to the soil pipe. I'm a lone female so not really familiar with these things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:20 pm