Straight staircase to dogleg - can it be done?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katyakita
Labourer
Labourer

Straight staircase to dogleg - can it be done?

by katyakita » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:28 am

Hi,
I have a 1930s 3 bed semi with a straight staircase. This leaves me with a tiny bathroom at the top and I propose to turn the top 3 stairs to the right to create a dog leg.
I have had numerous carpenters and joiners out all tell me different things!!
One said this is perfectly possible and that he can turn the top 3 and alter the bulkhead to accomodate the new stairs.
Another man said - i would have to move the whole staircase forward and loose space downstairs to create winder stairs at the top - not ideal as my front door wouldnt open fully!!
Unfortunately I'm on a budget and the 1st option is much more apealing, but i'm worried about safety - will it weaken the stairs or is this feesable?
Has anyone done this to existing stairs before?

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:33 pm

katyakita,
If you are going to turn the top 3 steps the you will have to have a landing so won't gain any space.
If you are going to replace the top 3 teps with a winder section you still won't gain any space.
Either way the stringers of the existing stairs will have to be supported.
end

katyakita
Labourer
Labourer

by katyakita » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Stoneyboy
Thank you for your promt reply!
I do gain space - the stairs are turned to the right at the 9th step up allowing me to rebuild a wall where effectively my 13th step previously came to.
However, my issue is not about space gain - it is whether it is safe, possible and recommended to cut into existing stairs and re-build them?
Thanks
Katy

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:49 am