Strengthening joists?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brucephipps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Strengthening joists?

by brucephipps » Mon May 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi,

I’m planning to add an extra radiator in a bedroom, and as it’s one of those heavy cast iron types, I thought I’d best check everything was ok with the floor joists as the house is quite old and the radiator will be pretty heavy once full of water. The ends of the joists are resting on a 4-inch steel beam, which also supports those for the adjacent bathroom. For some reason, both sets of joists have been fitted so that the ends are flush rather than being side-by-side. As the positioning isn’t even, it means there’s only about an inch of the bedroom joist resting on the steel beam. I just wondered if this was ok, or whether it should be strengthened, and if so, what would be the best way.

Appreciate any advice
Thanks
Bruce

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm

brucephipps,
If the radiator is going to stand on the floor I would suggest you fit additonal joists where the weight will be - these could be bolted to the existing bedroom and bathroom joists tying them together.
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 am