Stripping lead paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jlc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stripping lead paint

Post by jlc » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:18 am

Hi

Another tricky problem with our old house...

After starting to strip a small portion of skirting board in a back bedroom I became suspicious that some of the layers underneath might contain lead. After testing I found I was right.

The information about lead paint on the DEFRA website is very scary, and as we have a young child in the house I'm very concerned.

Is there a safe way to continue removing the paint? Or would it be best just to paint over the current top coat (which is lead free) and leave it be?

Thanks
John

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:14 am

jlc,
If the child likes to chew the woodwork around your home you will have to chemically strip and re-paint the woodwork. Otherwise paint over it.
end

pbp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pbp » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Home Strip paint and varnish remover will remove lead based paints safely as its emulsion formula will encapsulate lead in the paint and keep it wet at all times thus making it safe. Only when dust is made from removing these types of paints or using a heat gun will lead based paints become a hazard

Take a look at the projects page under stripping lead paint: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/st ... -paint.htm and you can read more info on the product there.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:52 am