Stuck Stopcock!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fee
Labourer
Labourer

Stuck Stopcock!

by Fee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before but new to the site and just need a bit of advice. Probably a bit stupid of me but had stopcock for my water supply to house replaced 6 years ago... the plumber at the time didn't tell me I should turn the water on/off at least once a year to prevent it from sticking (should've thought but didn't) hence it is now stuck fast! AND need to plumb in new washing machine (This I have done before)... have been spraying WD40 on the joint evey day for the past week but not made a scrap of difference! Any suggestions other than getting a plumber out?! PS I'm trying to turn it clockwise, hope that's right?! Thanks sorry if I sound a 'daft girly'!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Stuck Stopcock!

by plumbbob » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:14 pm

What I do with jammed stoptaps is use a large adjustable spanner. On the handle end is a circular hole. Fit that over one arm of the valve head and use as a lever.

The trick is knowing how much force can be used without damage so be it on your own head!

My guess is it won't take much and then suddenly it will be free!

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Stuck Stopcock!

by Dave From Leeds » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 am

Fee,

In addition to what plumbob has said above, if you do get the stop tap free, when you come to open it again close it down by about 1/8th of a turn from fully open so that it doesn't "jam open" against its stop.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm