Stumped over using pushfit joints on c/h flow pipes
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Stumped over using pushfit joints on c/h flow pipes

by greengrass » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:46 pm

Adding a radiator in up stairs bedroom.

I'm stumped!!! pushfits and flow pipes in sealed central heating system.
Went to get the parts today.

Been to the local plumbing retail/trade shop and was over heard mentioning that pushfits can't be used on central heating flow pipes and they have told me 'pushfits are ok on central heating flow pipws trade uses them we sell a lot' adding 'Make sure you cut the pipe square and chamfer the ends to take off any burs that may damage to 'O' ring.
Yet forum replies have said don't use pushfit joints.
Which way do I go ?????????.

I don't want to flood my Son in law and Daughters house fitting the wrong joints. [reason for doing the job ourselves is we are strapped for cash. I wont have a job done I can't pay for like some 'knockers' do]
greengrass

toneyt
Tradesman
Tradesman

by toneyt » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:50 pm

if you go for push fit buy yourself the correct cutter this will cut the pipe clean,square and with no internal burr,
i have just been converted to plastic and in some instances its quiker and easier for a diy'er
however you must not connect up to the boiler in plastic allow at least a metre of copper first.
the choice is yours in the end ,my advice is get someone who has installed plastic pipe just to oversee if possible.
failing that you could use compression fittings all the way but this could be expensive,you will get others using this forum giving you completely different advice so see what others think as well
T

plumbers1
Tradesman
Tradesman

Push fit fittings

by plumbers1 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:37 pm

Use good quality push fit fittings and you will be ok. There is a knack to using them, when you first start if using Hep fittings or Polyplumb use a quick squirt of silicon lubricant spray to aid easy assembly. From experience I do not use JG speedfit just because the pipe is stiffer than the two I just mentioned. As for durability.....well plastic pipes have beenused for water supply to houses for over 20 years now so that must speak for itself. I use plastic pushfits as a proffesional all the time where pipework is under the floor or hidden, the only reason I do not use them on surface or face pipework is that it can look untidy. At first I would use Hep and undo the fittings to check fully home to begin with. It is essential to cut the pipe with the correct cutter to make sure you have a good, clean, square cut. Good luck

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:51 am

Many thanks I'm not using plastic pipe using copper. S**s law a neighbour heard I was enquiring about pushfit joints and has just brought in a Wickes fitting and is says on the back of the pack

'Suitable for central heating applications'
and also warns on the pipe from the boiler should be 1m copper then plastic. Now ready with the right cutter for copper [clean cuts] and wire wool for burs, and of course the pushfit plastic fittings,wrenches spanners hand cleaner and uncle tom cobbly and all..... and to joint on to existing two compression tee's as the plastics are a wee bit too fat I can just get the compresions in can't do solder joints mine turn out naff.

I feel guilty now wasting time when I could have looked at the pack when I was recently in the large diy outlet.
All said and done thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply.

wishiwascorgi
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wishiwascorgi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:47 am

you didn't mention a pipe slice for the plastic pipe. DO NOT USE A HACKSAW.

plumbers1
Tradesman
Tradesman

Pipe slice

by plumbers1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:16 am

I think you ment a cutter suitable for cutting plastic pipe, not a pipe slice as you might be there a very log time cutting plastic pipe with a pipe slice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1