stupid combi boiler

Postby justanovice » Thu May 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Dear anyone who cares to help.

Had a combi boiler for about 5 years. Has always needed the pressure 'topping up' every now and again but just recently the pressure is dropping more and more regularly. Does anybody know why this is?

Another problem has reared its head this last 2 weeks or so. The hot water is playing silly beggars. Mainly, I seem to have hot water downstairs (which is where the boiler is) but not upstairs in the bathroom. At first it seemed to be if the pressure had dropped too much and if I 'topped it up' it was fine again but that doesn't seem to be the case today!

Does anybody have any idea why this might be? I need any advice possible as this is the worst time ever for this to happen when my house is on the market. Please save me having to have a new boiler put in.....

Many, many thanks in advance
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 5:31 pm


Simply Build It

Postby JayMusgrave » Thu May 10, 2007 6:14 pm

Yes! I do know, weve had combis for years. The drop in pressure means that the water is escaping somewhere you must have a leak although small it would make the pressure drop. Also it would mean that there is not enough pressure in the system to push the hot water around.

I suggest you try to find the leak, could be as well to check the radiator valves first.

Hope this helps
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 6:11 pm

Postby justanovice » Thu May 10, 2007 7:10 pm

any idea how I find a leak? All my radiator valves are fine - unfortunately.....!!!! I wish it was that simple...
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 5:31 pm

Postby Arnak » Sat May 12, 2007 11:08 am

Unfortunately finding a small leak in the heating system is not easy.

If it not obviously a radiator the only time you find it is when the result of the leak is apparent, such as water staining through the ceiling etc.

Other than a visual inspection of all the pipework I don't know of an easy way to find the leak.

Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 9:55 pm

Postby Paul Pepper » Sun May 13, 2007 2:54 pm

You can try adding a chemical leak sealer if there is no evidence of a leak & it's only a minor pressure drop - means draining a touch of water out of the system and adding via a rad. Very cheap to buy - about £20 ish!
Paul Pepper
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 6:02 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics