Sub - Contracting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stillia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sub - Contracting

by Stillia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Can anybody help me please......
I've been working as an electricians mate on a companys books for the last 7 months & they have now switched me from being on the books, to being a sub-contractor. What I need to find out is whether I can now claim for my travelling time (1hour a day). I used to start my hours when I arrived at the office, but have been told by a previous employee that I should book on from leaving home, now I'm a subbie. Is this correct??

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:14 pm

The income tax rules did allow claiming of travel time when a sub contractor and not as a cards in employee. But many of the old rules have changed. I know if working for a single employer for an hourly wage you now have to be cards in only pay by the job can you be self employed and many more loop holes were closed where self employed got more benefits than cards in. There has been a move to using agents as a result where the company pays an agent who in turn pays you this has also caused problems as the agent is responsible for health and safety and tend to follow employment law to the letter and will not pay if more than 13 hours are worked or you return to work within 11 hours of the last time you worked. As a result in some cases being paid for travel could reduce your wages. They are it seems able to pay different rates according to the job you are doing so could get travel at min rate. But as to paying travel expenses they were Union to Employer rules not government rules and some paid from nearest company office and some paid from home. And where you had not prior to signing the document agreed often nothing. I have been on many a site where two people from the same town one is paid travel and the other not often those who started afresh would get it but transfer people would not as they were considered as local but nearly all have a 25 mile threshold and within that mileage nothing is paid. This is more a subject for CAB not here and I wonder why anyone who is cards in would ever want to become a contractor?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:32 pm