Sub floor for vynil
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chipboard Mechanic
Labourer
Labourer

Sub floor for vynil

by Chipboard Mechanic » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi! I have been asked to put down a new MDF sub floor over which is to be installed a new vynil flooring 3mm thick. The MDF has been specified by the flooring manufacturer.
As the area requires some thirty 8x4 sheets I don't fancy the idea of screwing it down and I am afraid that pins may 'work' loose and be a problem to the new vynil.
Does anyone think narrow crown staples would be a better solution.
The spec; is for 4mm MDF and is covering a well used,dirty, but reasonably even chipboard floor.
Any advice greatfully received, Ta!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Chipboard Mechanic,
What a nightmare job! With mdf that thin you are going to have to pin it down very well and unless you can find staples with ring shanks I think they will crawl out.
What are the chances of cleanign up the existing floor and laying direct?
end

Chipboard Mechanic
Labourer
Labourer

Sub floor for vynil

by Chipboard Mechanic » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks Stoneyboy
I agree! what a job, but "needs must....", and when in a recession!!!!
There are good reasons not to sand down the existing floor, client specification for one,but I intend to use 8x4's cut down to 4x2's which should help eleviate any tendancy to bubble but as you say well pinned down, hence not wanting to use screws. I am hoping that the crown of the staple will be, in part, held down by the new surface which, having now seen a sample, is quite hard.
Thanks for your reply and wish me luck.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:14 pm

Does the vinyl flooring manufacturer underwrite fixing it when the MDF gets wet and swells or proves to be not rigid enough a subbase in the future?

Min 6mm ply for me I'm afraid. Amtico and Karndean both require ply in order to give their guarantees.

If they insist on 4mm MDF I'd make sure your a..e was well covered in writing for the future.

Cheers
Last edited by rosebery on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:29 pm

Chipboard Mechanic,
I do wish you luck, done it once and used thousands of staples, don't forget to leave a gap between each sheet for expansion.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:44 am

Make sure your gaps between boards are non-existent and if you have any they should be filled. Otherwise the vinyl will, in due time, sink into the gaps and your customer will be complaining about lines on his floor.

Cheers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 pm