Subsidence??
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
charlie58
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subsidence??

Post by charlie58 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 am

I have a house which was built in 2003. I noticed several months ago that on one corner of the house there is a crack which starts approx 3 courses above the DPC which then cuts vertically through the next 5 courses actually splitting the bricks through the middle. The crack can then be traced around the side of the house following the line of the mortar until it stops suddenly after a few yards. (The crack through the bricks is barely visible). It hasn't grown since I first noticed it but should I be worried about it and is it time to get the NHBC involved. Out of curiosity can anyone tell me how such a crack can start part way up a wall as opposed from the foundations??????

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:42 pm

It is not unknown for builders to make mistakes.
With a modern house it is unlikely that the foundation would crack, but not unknown.
Contact the builders and the insurance company and try to get it sorted.
They won't like it and will do everything to avoid admitting liability.
There is a simple reinforcing system on the market that can be used to repair the damage, and a tool to enable the broken bricks to be removed without damage to the good bricks next to them.
Threaten to sue, if they don't cooperate.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:37 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:29 pm