Sulphate attack on concrete floor
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevpeak
Labourer
Labourer

Sulphate attack on concrete floor

by kevpeak » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:07 am

I have a problem with the lounge area of my bungalow built 1960 in that there is a bulge in the floor and cracks on the exterior walls have occurred causing damage to brickwork.

I have made excavations and find that the floor is a concrete block under which is a deep layer of red shale below this it appears there is another slab which covers the whole area.

Samples have been taken and analysed and suphate level 3 has been diagnosed.

Any help or advice as to what can be done to rectify the matter would be appreciated. P.S. Is the lower layer of concrete likely to be affected.

Kind regards
Kevin

philgrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sulphate attack

by philgrady » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:05 pm

I'm not an expert, in sulphate attack, but i do know that there are tanking systems specifically aligned for symptoms you describe. However these do come with a limited guarantee and therefore cannot help thinking it would be better to start over, i.e demolish the floor and lay new. I do realise this would mean a huge upheaveal. Would any insurance you have cover it?

kevpeak
Labourer
Labourer

by kevpeak » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:46 am

Thanks for your reply. A difficult problem of which the Ins Co don't want to know. Now looking towards excavation of floor and a Beam and Block Floor system.
Thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 pm