Summer radiator.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vanhove
Labourer
Labourer

Summer radiator.

Post by vanhove » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 pm

The H/W feed to my indirect tank then goes to into a towel radiator in the bathroom (teed off before the header tank). The feed from this bathroom radiator then goes to the radiator return circuit. Is this a viable setup or should I get it changed?

Regards

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:53 pm

Are you sure it is plumbed this way??

Does the central heating and hot water share the same return? Is your hot water a gravity fed system?

Normally all radiators are fed via the heating circuit and the hot water has it's own independent circuit.

vanhove
Labourer
Labourer

Post by vanhove » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:17 am

I am certain that the hot feed to the towel radiator comes out of the top of the main H/W feed to the tank (teed of after the tank but before the open pipe into the header tank). It is hard to trace the return but it looks like it is going to the radiator return. I am sure someone set it up to have a summer radiator.

The H/W is gravity fed and the C/H is pumped. My concern is that contaminated water from the C/H circuit could get into the H/W circuit!.

Regards

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:03 am

You don't need to worry about any contamination of water as all the central heating and hot water heating circuits share the same water anyway. Inside the hot water cylinder, behind the two side connections, is a large heat exchanger coil round which the heating water circulates so the two waters are always kept entirely separate.

Your suggestion that the radiator being plumbed to the gravity feed side would make it work as a summer radiator does hold water (sorry).

My only concern would be is because the heating return is utilised, this crossover could, depending on exactly how the system is plumbed, cause a reduced or unexpected flow in the heating circuit thereby reducing its efficiency. You could also find that radiator doesn't heat up as much as the others.

If your system works all right, no harm is going to be caused by leaving the plumbing as is.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1