Sunken floor in the middle
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ressy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sunken floor in the middle

by Ressy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:54 pm

Can someone give me another idea of taking the dip out of a floor. The room is 12ft square and the dip in the middle is about 20mm. I don't want to replace all the joists as this would mean replaceing the cieling downstairs. I thought if I put a piece of 19mm ply across the floor and put the floor boards back down that would solve the problem but is sounds like a bodge to me, any other ideas pleeeese. John

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:43 am

What flooring are you putting down? is it to be carpeted or laminate or other?...or where you planning on the bear floorboards? if its going to be covered with another flooring and you wont see any repair work then why lift all the boards, (which is a hassle and can cause other problems ) simply add your sheet of ply on top then lay your floor covering.

is the dip in the floor caused by thinner replacement boards? or does the floor dip because the joists seem to dip?

if you think it may be the joists dipping then it might be worth having a look below floor level incase theres other problems at work. If its thin replacment boards then lift these and replace with the correct depth. Hope this helps. dude diy

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:12 pm