Sunken Wood Screws?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
3magnet
Tradesman
Tradesman

Sunken Wood Screws?

Post by 3magnet » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:26 am

We are going to lay new solid wood flooring (planed planks) ontop of existing floorboards. For maintenance purposes I would like to screw the flooring down, instead of nailing them down.
The reason for this is to make lifting them again, should the need arise, easier. Also to reduce damage to floorboards by using a crowbar when using nails etc.

I would however like to sink the screws into the floorboards and conceal them with wood-filler, before applying the oil/wax. Are there drill bits that make sunken holes for screws & if so, how would I do it. Is this something that is available in your local DIY store?
I hope that by drilling pilot holes for the screws would reduce/minimize splitting in the wood.

Any advise on this matter please?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:58 am

See the projects section on countersinking and pilot holes

alexstephens
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Sunken Wood Screws?

Post by alexstephens » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:50 am

[quote="3magnet"]We are going to lay new solid wood flooring (planed planks) ontop of existing floorboards. For maintenance purposes I would like to screw the flooring down, instead of nailing them down.
The reason for this is to make lifting them again, should the need arise, easier. Also to reduce damage to floorboards by using a crowbar when using nails etc.

I would however like to sink the screws into the floorboards and conceal them with wood-filler, before applying the oil/wax. Are there drill bits that make sunken holes for screws & if so, how would I do it. Is this something that is available in your local DIY store?
I hope that by drilling pilot holes for the screws would reduce/minimize splitting in the wood.

Any advise on this matter please?[/quote]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:36 am