Supply to barn from existing house
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Beiliglas
Labourer
Labourer

Supply to barn from existing house

by Beiliglas » Thu May 03, 2007 2:43 pm

I have converted a barn which is about 25M from our main house. The supply co has said that it will be OK for me to run an SWA cable from the main house to the new barn.

1) Can I use 2 core 16mm SWA cable (only 2 ring mains and 2 Light circuits in barn) or do i need to use 25mm?

2) What can I use to break in to the mains tails (after the meter in the main house) to make the SWA connection.

3) Should I use a protection device (Fuse or RCD) at the start of the SWA run or just fit an isolator.

4) Any recomendations as to what devices / connectors should be used to join the SWA to the Mains Tails in the existing house.

Many thanks

CJ

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri May 04, 2007 11:43 pm

Leaving aside Part P requirements;
1)Yes,from table 4D4a/b:
cable current capacity over 63Amps so assuming massive load of 60A;
volt drop = 2.8mV/Amp/Metre, ie 2.8 X 60 X 25 =
4200mV or, div/1000 = 4.2Volts dropped, well within 4% limit ie 230 X 4% = 9.2V.
2/3) use a switch fuse (metal) such as wylex 106M, with a 60 A. fuse fitted which gives isolation & over-current protection to cable.
4)Using the above gives point to connect dble. ins. 'tails' & earth wire all at 16mm2 , these then connect with existing tails between meter & con.unit. using 'dble 'Henley Block' + earth block, which if not already fitted can be introduced into main earth wire from incoming cable. N.B. This work can only be done by qualified/registered electrician, it's the law, & supply co. will want to see test sheets to prove it!,
regards SPARX

Beiliglas
Labourer
Labourer

by Beiliglas » Sat May 05, 2007 7:26 pm

Many, Many thanks Sparx.

I have paid building control to inspect and test the whole electrical instalation. In this case would it be OK for me to do the work (and get them to check, inspect and test) or does it still have to be done by a part P electrician?

Thanks again

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun May 06, 2007 6:51 pm

you are ok, one of the options is to pay inspection fee first then you can DIY, only thing is they won't do test readings , only look at routes, methods etc. so if you need test sheets (which are reqd. under IEE regs) say to sell property, or for insurance purposes then you would need to get that done seperately, it would have to be a 'periodic Inspection' not a 'completion Cert.' as only the person carrying out the work can issue those. Regards SPARX

Beiliglas
Labourer
Labourer

by Beiliglas » Tue May 08, 2007 6:49 pm

Many thanks again for your fast and very helpful response

Regards

CJ

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:40 pm