supporting lintels in a solid load bearing wall
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yorkspaul
Labourer
Labourer

supporting lintels in a solid load bearing wall

Post by yorkspaul » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:54 pm

I am putting a new opening through a 400mm thick solid wall. The lintel for the opening will have a point load on one side from a roof beam. That's ok ....I'm going to go OTT with the first 2 100mm lintels and then using 2more 100mm lintels to support the stone work above the remainder of the 400mm opening. (2 x Catnic CN5CX and 2x standard Catnic lintels). My question is over the side support for the lintel, I originally thought that I could use the existing stone work to support the new lintels at the side. However I now doubt the the centre of the wall is solid stone but is rather rubble infill between the outer stone. My question is: do I need to build engineering brick supports for the lintel?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:49 am

As a structural alteration this question should be put to the building control officer of your local planning dept but the general practice is to insert concrete padstones on the ends of the wall to make sure the load is carried equally over the full width of teh wall. The padstones are usually 100mm thick and extend back the full length on the lintels bearing which in all cases should be an absolte minimum of 150mm. Please check this advice with your local authority as, if the wall in question is on dubious foundations they may insist on much more bearing each side.

yorkspaul
Labourer
Labourer

Post by yorkspaul » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks Doc,

Yes it will need building control to look over it; I'd just like to have some idea before talking to them!

You've mentioned lintel padstones before...could you provide a link.

I presume Padstone before Lintel?

yorkspaul
Labourer
Labourer

Post by yorkspaul » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:20 am

So i've a 400mmm stone wall with rubble infill and I'm looking at cast-in-stitu concrete padstones. :wink: :wink:

Which British Standard for the concrete mix?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:34 am