Surface water problem
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Devilish
Labourer
Labourer

Surface water problem

Post by Devilish » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:36 pm

I have a concrete drive which slopes downwards towards my integral garage. There is a slight incline before the garage door but when rainfall is particularly heavy, the water collects and pools in front of the garage (and sometimes the front door of the house as well). There are no downpipes on my house leading to a drain as the roof downpipes go across our neighbours house (its a semi detached) and down the pipes at the side of their house.

Any ideas on how can I stop the water from collecting at the front of my house? I'm hoping not to have to dig up the concrete drive and replace it with a gravel one but thought that this might be one way of helping the water to drain.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:01 am

Hi Devilish,

ACO drain needs installing in front of garage and front door. This is laid flush with the surface and has its own integral fall within. If no drain to tap into, you could dig a small soakaway at the end of the run with pea gravel.

Check it out at a builders merchant.

Steve

Devilish
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Devilish » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Thanks for that Steve. I'm a bit of a DIY novice when it comes to this kind of stuff. How easy would it be to dig some concrete up, lay the ACO drain and also a soakaway at the end? Any idea how far I would have to dig down (and what tools would be best to use)?

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:03 pm

If you feel able, use a petrol saw to cut slots into the concrete using a diamond blade ( hire/borrow) where the drain is going. Then break it out,
clear rubble from channel, install drain using mortar.

Hth

Steve

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:33 am