Surprise Under my 115 Year old Terrace House Floor
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
daniel4diy
Labourer
Labourer

Surprise Under my 115 Year old Terrace House Floor

by daniel4diy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:02 pm

Evening All,

My plumber made an interesting discovery this week. After taking away the laminate floor (that's been there since I purchased the house) ... Under the floorboards in my kitchen dinning room there is a diagonal telegraph size pole that is holding up the floor boards. the house has been built on a slope and there is about 3ft drop from the floor to the dirt underneath. House was build around 1900's.

Running the entire length of the pole is timber that has been concreted into stay in place, and I should add that there are bricks built up on both sides (and the middle) with slots made in the wall holding the pole in place.

Other than a bit of woodworm in the floor boards themselves (that has now been sprayed) I'm really unsure what I should do next.

I've had 2 quotes for the work. One has said to remove it all and provided stability with brick columns replacing all wood joints i.e the entire floor (very expensive). The other suggested that it can be left & replace all the woodworm eaten floor. He also assumes that the living room and hallway are likely to have the same floor design with poles supporting the floor.

This wasn't picked up on my mortgage survey (9-10 years ago) and I'm unsure where I stand with my home insurance on this.

Looking for some advice please. Thank you for reading

cmorales
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Surprise Under my 115 Year old Terrace House Floor

by cmorales » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 am

Can you upload the picture of your 115 year old Terrace House Floor?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:53 pm