Survey on Loft Conversion - RSJ sticking out of roof?
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
waxy
Labourer
Labourer

Survey on Loft Conversion - RSJ sticking out of roof?

by waxy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:58 am

Hello,

We are in the process of buying a new home which has had a small loft conversion (probably about 5 years ago). The survey noted lead plates on the roof and small bulges and further investigation by a builder has indicated that the RSJs are sitting on some bricks above the main external wall and the end of the RSJ is sticking out through the roof, hence the lead plate.

We are awaiting the building regs/planning application details but the builder has indicated that it would need redo-ing, at a cost of at least 10k. So we're thinking of reducing our offer to reflect this but I'd be interested to know whether this type of work (i.e RSJ sticking out of roof) is normal (and it's the builder trying to get some work) or whether it sounds like the problem which would need to be fixed.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:39 pm

waxy,
I'd be interested to know whether this type of work (i.e RSJ sticking out of roof) is normal - No it's not
Installer probably couldn't be bothered with buying a RSJ with cranked ends so it sits neatly on the support wall.
Difficult to say much about cost but replacing a load-bearing RSJ is not going to be cheap.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:12 am